Friday, January 11, 2008

Bathroom Overhaul

This was my first time having to paint almost everything in a room - the trim, woodwork, cabinets, door, and walls - from start to finish. I sanded, primed, painted, glazed, and varnished all in a week and a half of time. As you can see in the before picture, they had the room faux painted several years ago. The woodwork needed some repairs and they wanted something new. I started the project with a design plan in mind, but mid-stream, I decided to go in a different direction. The home owner's were great sports, they were very flexible and pretty much allowed me to do whatever I wanted. This was fun and added to the challenge. My initial plan was to go with light colored trim & woodwork with an antiquing glaze. I was then going to do the walls in a golden tone color wash finish. My customers really loved the colors that were in the room previously, so I figured that I would pull from that. But once I finished the woodwork, I decided that a medium toned green would look stunning in the room and that the detailed woodwork would pop out against a darker color. I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

This is a picture of the bathroom - BEFORE


Here is the bathroom - COMPLETED






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great before and after. I totally dig the green direction you took -- I'm glad your client's trusted your gut on that!

Painter Mommy said...

Thanks Regina! Yes, my customers were great. They really allowed me to take control. I don't often get to work for people that are so open and flexible. I look forward to working with them again. They want me to do two more bathrooms in a few weeks.